Monday, June 1, 2015

Bill's Offensive Caesar Salad Dressing

I can't count the number of Caesar salads I've had over the course of my life. For me, it is the benchmark for the quality of a restaurant. If they pay enough attention to the details that go into a Caesar salad dressing, chances are the rest of their food will be quality as well. But unfortunately, for many restaurants, the Caesar salad is an after thought--just something they need to round out their menu.

Make my own Caesar dressing? Meh. There are many good bottled versions out there. I always liked Cardini's as a bottled substitute. But then my friend Bill introduced me to what he called his "offensive" Caesar salad dressing. What's offensive about it? Well, the garlic and the way it slaps your tongue on the first bite to say, "Hey! I'm here!!" I love garlic. If you love garlic, you will love this dressing. Everyone I have ever served it to has remarked that it was THE BEST Caesar dressing they have EVER had. It certainly is for me and I hope you enjoy it. Yum!

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup Best Food mayo (or Helman's)
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 4 anchovies with capers
  • 2 Tbl grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 Tbl fresh lemon juice
  • 1 Tsp Worcestershire 
  • 1 Tsp Dijon mustard

Method

  1. Rough chop the garlic and place in a small food processor along with the anchovies, cheese, lemon juice and mustard. Pulse several times until the garlic is finely chopped.
  2. Add the mayo and process for around 15 seconds scraping down the sides.
  3. Let set in the refrigerator for at least on hour.

Make enough dressing for four to six salads. And please, you don't need croutons! Throw another anchovy on it with some parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment